Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Day 100 and something...Eliza and the Scooter

I thought i would continue from last week and see how it goes.  I will have to do a special Post for Halloween.  Happy Reading.  Please feel free to tell me your thoughts.
______________________________________________________________
Eliza walked back into the dorm feeling a bit worn.  She reached her hand up to her head and felt around; it really didn’t even seem worth it to run her fingers through the rat’s nest that at one point had been her silky straight hair. 

“Oh, wow. Okay so I was apparently correct that he doesn’t have a car?”

“Uh, yeah.  You were right.  It was a scooter.  A scooter of death really. I am not cut out for a motorized contraption that small.  I thought we were going to die.”

“Oh dear.  I’m sorry.  You think that he would have planned better, or at least had a helmet or something for you.  The windblown look isn’t a good look.”

Eliza shook out her hair, and then looked in the mirror on the back of their door.  “He did.”

“Oh, well.  Maybe its not that bad?  He’s still cute right?” asked Julianne.

Eliza paused in thought before answering.  “How cute is cute enough to have to look like this each date?”  Eliza gestured to her hair.

“Maybe you two can walk everywhere?”

“Yeah sure.  That leaves us with Hooters, McDonnell’s, the Library Bar and Subway.  Romantic choices. But good news I can get a variety of food and enough liquor that I might be able to drown out any expectations that might creep in.”

“Okay, so he has a scooter.  The good news he seems mentally sane.  That must be  an improvement from nut number two that you dated for four days before he introduced you to his  ‘special friend’ Brad right?” asked Julianne, who was very obviously grasping at straws.

Eliza sighed.  “Yes, I am still unsure if I was actually dating him or if he was just trying to use me to show to his parents.  I am fairly positive he had some issues with who he was and what his parents would accept and so on.  He wasn’t crazy, but I sort of felt like the third wheel on my own dates.  I have horrible taste in men.  On a positive note I made a good friend once we ironed out that I was not the girl for him, now we have the best coffee dates ever.”

“Okay but if you pick one more head case I’m buying you a plant.  You seem to nurture everything; or you at least try to fix everything.  So if that’s your goal a plant should do the trick, maybe help you with the need to take care of everything.  You have yet to pick a fully functional guy.”

“Like your taste is much better,” was all Eliza could say.  Julianne stared at her intently.

“Uh huh.  No pointing fingers at the moment.  Lets recap, there was the guy who was gay,” Julianne said, before Eliza could interupt.

“In my defense he wasn’t out and he was super hot.”

“Right, whatever.  Then there was the momma’s boy, he couldn’t even leave the house without calling home and his mother only lives ten minutes away.  Then there was Lord of the Rings guy.”

“Okay, but in his defense he was the Elf and everyone knows how hot Orlando Bloom was.  Besides it was Halloween when we met, who knew he actually wore the pointy ears all the time.”

“My point is, you have horrible taste.  It’s like you need a fairy godmother or a guardian angel.”

“Jules, what do you think you are?  I mean definitely not the angel but you could be sort of the fairy godmother.”  Eliza smiled at her best friend and couldn’t help but laugh.

“I find that assessment a little off.  I’m an angel, I’ve just fallen.”  That last statement made by Julianne was followed by the two girls laughing contently as Julianne picked up a brush and started to untangle Eliza’s hair. 

Lucky in love wasn’t a phrase she’d be using any time soon as she winced at the tug the brush made.  Each stroke pulled make Eliza’s eyes tear up, perhaps men liked bald woman?  It would certainly fix the whole helmet and scooter dilemma.  Trying to be thankful for something Eliza was certain the one constant in her life would be Julianne, she prayed at the same time that steady stream of bad dates and weird men would not be.

No comments:

Post a Comment